Friday, September 02, 2005

I got the blues



Mississippi bluesman R.L. Burnside died yesterday, Sept. 1. He was 78. I am ashamed to say I know little about him other than his music was the basic, primal voice of a poor, rural Mississippi that captured the ears of many in the last few years, including mine.

I urge you to check out www.fatpossum.com for his music. That label is out of Oxford, Miss. and is doing its best to round up the last of the Mississippi bluesmen for posterity. They caught R.L. just in time and have several of his albums, including, "Ass Pocket of Whiskey." Also, iTunes has 150 of his songs for sale, just do a search for Burnside.

Our iPod is full of his music, including titles like, "My Name is Robert Too" featuring Kid Rock, "Shake 'em On Down" and one of my favorites, "Stole My Check" where he repeats the line, "That lazy motherfucker stole my check. And I want it back."

One of R.L.'s albums was called, "Wish I Was in Heaven Sitting Down." I hope you made it R.L.

1 comment:

Brooks Brown said...

Interesting he died the same week that Mississippi made world wide news for the disaster, Let the plight of the poor not be forgotten.